Ask the Experts
Polycystic Ovary Disease (PCOD)
Polycystic Ovary Disease (PCOD): Understanding the Causes and Symptoms
Polycystic Ovary Disease (PCOD) is a common hormonal disorder that affects women of reproductive age. It is characterized by the growth of cysts on the ovaries and can lead to a variety of symptoms, including irregular menstrual cycles, infertility, and weight gain. At Mediworld Fertility, we understand the impact that PCOD can have on a woman’s life and are dedicated to helping our patients find the treatment they need to overcome this condition.
What is PCOD?
PCOD is a hormonal disorder that affects the ovaries, leading to the growth of small, fluid-filled sacs known as cysts. The cysts interfere with the normal functioning of the ovaries, causing a range of symptoms and increasing the risk of infertility. PCOD is one of the most common causes of infertility in women and is believed to affect as many as one in 10 women of reproductive age.
What are the symptoms of PCOD?
PCOD can cause a range of symptoms, including:
- Irregular or absent menstrual cycles
- Heavy bleeding during menstruation
- Painful periods
- Acne or excessive hair growth on the face, chest, or back
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight
- Darkening of the skin around the neck, groin, or underarms
- Depression or anxiety
What causes PCOD?
The exact cause of PCOD is not known, but it is believed to be related to a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Some of the risk factors for PCOD include:
- Insulin resistance
- High levels of androgens (male hormones)
- Chronic inflammation
- Family history of PCOD
How is PCOD treated?
The treatment of PCOD will depend on the severity of your symptoms and your individual health needs. Some of the most common treatment options include:
- Lifestyle changes, such as losing weight, eating a healthy diet, and engaging in regular physical activity
- Medications to regulate menstrual cycles and manage insulin resistance
- Ovarian drilling, a surgical procedure that involves using laser or heat to destroy part of the ovary
- IVF, to help women who are struggling with infertility to conceive
At Mediworld Fertility, we offer a comprehensive range of treatments for PCOD, including lifestyle changes, medications, and fertility treatments. Our team of experts is dedicated to helping you find the treatment that is right for you, ensuring the best possible outcomes for your health and well-being.
If you are struggling with PCOD, the team at Mediworld Fertility can help. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about the treatment options that are available to you.