A high-risk pregnancy means a woman has one or more issues that can raise health problems in her or her baby or even preterm delivery.
Conceiving a baby or becoming a mother is considered to be a natural process. However, not all cases of pregnancy tend to go smoothly. Some women, either due to their overall health condition or bad habits, tend to experience a critical period called high-risk pregnancy. According to the high risk pregnancy doctors in Delhi, such a situation can potentially affect the health of the mother and her child. Therefore, it requires proper management provided by a specialist in this aspect.
What is Considered as a High-risk Pregnancy?
A high-risk pregnancy, in essence, refers to a condition where the child has a high risk of developing a critical health problem. Usually, this issue does not provide any signs during the earlier stages. However, once it becomes critical, it may show symptoms like –
- Moderate to extreme vaginal bleeding (unlike what happens during pregnancy)
- An extreme feeling of discomfort and pain in the abdominal and pelvic area
- Losing consciousness frequently
- Leakage of fluid into the vagina (can be caused by the bulging of the umbilical cord into the aforesaid organ)
- Persistent pressure in the backside of the pelvic area
- Signs of preeclampsia (like swelling on the hands, blurred visions, headache, loss of the sense of feel, etc.)
The aforementioned symptoms usually occur abruptly and unexpectedly. Due to this reason, a high risk pregnancy specialist in Delhi suggests the expected mothers be extremely cautious during the pregnancy period. Staying near your family members all the time can also help you in staying safe.
A woman's pregnancy might be considered high risk in the following situations:
- For mothers older than age 35 and younger than 17
- She was underweight or overweight before becoming pregnant
- She is pregnant with multiples or with twins, triplets.
- The mother has health issues like high blood pressure, diabetes, depression, obesity, epilepsy, thyroid disease, heart or blood disorders, poorly controlled asthma.
- Had previous pregnancy problems, like premature labor or having a child with a genetic problem
- The placenta covers the cervix which causes bleeding, especially during contractions. In such cases during delivery, the doctor may plan a cesarean section to prevent any risks.
- Fetal problems which are generally unexpected are seen on ultrasound. Approximately 2-3% of all babies have few structural growth problems.
- In the case of high-risk pregnancy, it is important to consult with the doctor to control and manage any health problems if they occur.
- Addictions to smoking and drinking alcohol also can cause health problems for a pregnant woman and subsequently her baby.
Other vital tips for a healthy pregnancy include:
- Consult your doctor early before and throughout your pregnancy for prenatal care.
- Eat a healthy diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, etc., and exercise.
- Gain a good amount of healthy weight.
- Defend yourself from infections. Wash your hands, avoid raw meat, fish; get any immunizations your doctor recommends, and use condoms to protect against STDs.
- Stress reduction during pregnancy is a very essential factor.
What Causes a High-risk Pregnancy?
There is no definite cause that can increase the chance of encountering high-risk pregnancy. However, there are some risk factors that may contribute to this factor. Here is what you need to know about them –
- Age of the Mother: The age of the mother-to-be is considered to be the most common risk factor of a high-risk pregnancy. Women, who are under the age of 17 or over 35, tend to be prone to pregnancy-related complications more than others. The risk of genetic incompetence and miscarriage increases even more after the age of 40.
- Lifestyle Issues: Several lifestyle choices, such as drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes, can affect your health massively. It may also affect the lining of your uterus, which, in turn, can cause high-risk pregnancy.
- Multiple Pregnancy: The state of pregnancy can be quite risky in case an individual is carrying more than one child. It may, sometimes, lead to miscarriage as well.
- Health Conditions: Various health issues, such as blood or heart disorders, can massively affect the condition of the fetus. Moreover, poorly-managed asthma might also increase the risk of the mother's health even more.
- Pregnancy-related Complications: Pregnancy complications, such as abnormal placenta position or fetal growth restriction, can increase the risk of high-risk pregnancy. Nevertheless, these issues can be controlled or managed by taking the help of a high risk pregnancy specialist in Delhi.
How to Manage a High-risk Pregnancy?
Managing a high-risk pregnancy status can be somewhat difficult for a soon-to-be-mother. However, if you follow the below-mentioned tips, then your condition may improve gradually –
- Pre-conception Appointments: If you and your partner are considering conceiving, then be sure to consult your healthcare provider first. They will perform the required tests to ensure your current health and ask you to take medications to improve your condition. They may also offer you suggestions regarding your risk of conceiving a baby.
- Avoid Smoking: As mentioned before, smoking can considerably affect and damage the lining of your uterus. Therefore, if you are thinking about pregnancy, then you will have to stop smoking permanently. Moreover, drinking should be avoided at any cost as well.
- Opt for Prenatal Care: Undergoing a prenatal care segment regularly can help you to learn about your condition more closely. It can also denote the health of your baby and tell you about the progressions regarding the same.
Who are High-risk Pregnancy Doctors and What Do They Do?
Also known as MFM (maternal-fetal medicine) specialists, the high risk pregnancy doctors in Delhi help in taking care of a critical pregnant woman. The tasks of these physicians include –
- Provide regular prenatal care to women with a high-risk pregnancy
- Helps in managing the blood pressure of the patients
- Aids in averting complications that the expected mother may develop during the pregnancy period
- Does tests and other evaluations, like ultrasound, to ensure the health of the baby, its growth and development
- Monitors the issues of labors and manages the delivery in due time
- Identifies risks as early as possible and prevents them from affecting the health of the mother
- Diagnoses birth defects and attempts to cure them at the earliest
The MFM specialists also take care of other disorders like a seizure, blood clotting, etc. that may occur during pregnancy.
Mediworld Fertility: Centre for High-risk Pregnancy Doctors in Delhi
Are you currently looking for an efficient facility, which can help you in managing your issue of a high-risk pregnancy? Then, Mediworld Fertility can be the ideal option for you. The healthcare centre is the epitome of high-end technologies. Therefore, the doctors can diagnose any issue, regarding both the mother and the baby, almost instantly. Furthermore, owing to the efficiency of the physicians of the clinic, the organization may also treat any of your pre-occurred health conditions. So, all-in-all, you will be in safe hands.
Although most pregnancies progress steadily, sometimes, they can take a massive turn and become life-threatening. Therefore, opting for a high risk pregnancy specialist in Delhi would be ideal for you. He/she will take care of your needs and ensure an optimal health condition as well.
At Mediworld Fertility, we have experienced and High Risk Pregnancy Doctors in Delhi who can manage high-risk pregnancies and take special care of pregnant women having complex pregnancy conditions. Our specialists consult, closely monitor and evaluate the pregnancy risks. Our high-risk pregnancy program is developed to handle difficult emergency pregnancy situations.