Ask the Experts
Ovarian Cysts: Understanding the Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options
The cysts are a common problem among women of reproductive age. While many cysts are benign and cause no symptoms, others can lead to pain, infertility, or other serious health problems. At Mediworld Fertility, our goal is to help women understand the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for cysts so that they can make informed decisions about their health.
What are Ovarian Cysts?
The cysts are fluid-filled sacs that develop on the ovaries. They are a common occurrence in women of reproductive age, as the ovaries produce cysts as part of their normal function. The cysts can be small and cause no symptoms, or they can be large and cause pain, discomfort, or other symptoms.
What are the symptoms of Ovarian Cysts?
The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary depending on the type and size of the cyst. Some common symptoms of ovarian cysts include:
- Pelvic pain or discomfort
- Pressure or fullness in the abdomen
- Bloating or swelling in the abdomen
- Painful periods
- Pain during sex
- Nausea or vomiting
It is important to note that many women with ovarian cysts do not experience any symptoms at all. This is why it is so important to have regular gynecological exams, as ovarian cysts can be detected through routine ultrasound or pelvic exams.
What causes Ovarian Cysts?
There are several different types of cysts, each with its own causes. Some of the most common causes of cysts include:
- Follicular cysts: These cysts form when the follicle that holds the egg does not release the egg as it should.
- Corpus luteum cysts: These cysts form when the corpus luteum, the tissue that remains after the egg has been released, fills with fluid.
- Dermoid cysts: These cysts are made up of tissue that can form a variety of structures, such as skin, hair, or teeth.
- Cystadenomas: These cysts form on the surface of the ovary and can become quite large.
- Endometriomas: These cysts form as a result of endometriosis, a condition in which the tissue that lines the uterus grows outside of the uterus.
What are the treatment options for Ovarian Cysts?
The treatment options for ovarian cysts will depend on the type and size of the cyst, as well as the symptoms that the woman is experiencing. Some common treatment options for ovarian cysts include:
- Observation: For small, benign cysts that are causing no symptoms, the best course of action may be simply to observe the cyst and monitor it over time.
- Hormonal therapy: Hormonal therapy can be used to shrink or eliminate certain types of cysts, such as functional cysts.
- Surgery: Surgery may be necessary to remove larger cysts, cysts that are causing pain or other symptoms, or cysts that are cancerous.
At Mediworld Fertility, we understand the emotional journey that comes with infertility and are committed to providing personalized care and support to our patients. Our team of experts is dedicated to helping you overcome your fertility challenges and achieve your dream of starting a family.
If you are struggling with cysts and are looking for comprehensive and compassionate care, schedule a consultation with our team of experts at Mediworld Fertility today.